Friday, March 14, 2008

Am I crazy?

Wait, wait, before you just say yes... I mean more than the usual Amanda craziness.

Almost everyday someone (friend, family, neighbor, stranger) says to me that Skyler should be modeling. I'm her mother so yeah I think she's beautiful. I've hemmed and hawed over this for over a year. Is it crazy to get her involved in that lifestyle of competition over looks? Is it silly to ignore what so many people have said? Will she be disappointed later in life if I didn't take this step for her? Would encouraging this be teaching her the wrong values? Where do you even begin?

I've done a lot of research and for the most part it's hard to break into the industry living where we do, it's much easier in LA or Boston or New York. Most places that "groom" models are looking to make money from you off of classes, John Robert Powers anyone? I had somewhat written it off when I was talking to one of the other parents at soccer practice. He happened to excitedly ask if we had seen the most recent American Living (Ralph Lauren for JC Penney) commercial. Little Emma, from Skyler's soccer team was in it. She has an agent right here in Virginia Beach. Since that conversation two weeks ago, I've seen the commercial several times.

I bit the bullet and sent the agent some pictures of Skyler, now she wants to meet her. We have an appointment next week. I'm NERVOUS. I still don't know if I'm doing the right thing. I'm mostly concerned about the competitive atmosphere and the lifestyle. I have an online friend who started modeling at 12 and worked world wide. Her tales have scared me - it's a crazy industry.

I'm hoping it goes slowly and we are able to make good decisions along the way! Wish us luck!

3 comments:

  1. I will wish you luck, in so much that you will somehow be able to managa to maintain control over Sky's "career". Cynicism is an honest voice of reason in a chaotic world. We'll be there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, it should read "...manage to maintain..."
    Sorry for the typo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with this. My sister was a model from the age of about 3 til about 12 when SHE decided she'd rather stay home, play soccer and meet new boys. She met some amazing folks, had a few great travels and paid for college. Not sure how she would tell the tale, but she's more or less as normal as the rest of us as an adult.

    Peggie

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...