Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy Anniversary

For those of you who weren't in the know, nine years ago today, Matt and I got married - for the first time. I can't even remember at this point who knows and who doesn't, it just doesn't seem to matter as much as it did way back then. Our families knew, and a small group of Navy friends knew, but I think that's it.

Matt and I were engaged and happily planning our wedding for March 18th of the next year. Matt was living in the barracks of the Navy base and I was homeless. Sounds funny, but REALLY I was. I had moved into my grandfather's house with my cousin back in June. Within days of our moving in, the entire house burned down due to some construction that was being done in the kitchen. I had just given the lease of my apartment to a friend, I couldn't live in the barracks, living at home wasn't exactly a barrel of laughs. I had luggage in my car and would spend a night here and a night there. I was also traveling for work so it was really wearing on me, this living out of suitcases.

In July Matt and I started talking about how if we were married the Navy would put us up in Navy housing. We were getting married anyway, what was a few extra months? My concern was that I still wanted my wedding. I didn't want people to think less of the event because we were technically already married. I envisioned it becoming less special. So we decided to tell our families and only our Navy friends who would know anyway and keep everyone else in the dark. (Oh we had to tell the priest at St. Mary's too - that was interesting).

So one weekend I shot this at my mother "uh, I'm on travel next week, I'll be home on Friday night, we're getting married on Sunday, do you and Dad want to come?". blink blink blink Followed by my rapid explanation of the why and the where. I'm sure they weren't happy about it but I wasn't exactly easy to live with so I'm guessing they went along with it partially to get me out of the house ;-)

I distinctly remember Matt calling his Dad and Al thinking that we must be pregnant. I'm guessing after that initial realization - it was all good from there.

SO a week or so later, on Sunday July 18th, we got married on a hill overlooking the ocean in Kittery, ME. My parents were there, a small selection of our Navy friends were there as our witnesses, and it was really short and sweet.

After all that anxiety we didn't move into Navy housing until the following November, but that's okay. We were married and happy and planning our wedding.

SO - to my dear husband, I love you and wish you a Happy First Ninth Anniversary!

2 comments:

  1. I had completely forgotten about this. I read it and thought, "What? They got married in March." Happy first nineth anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I never even knew! Well, happy 9th first anniversary (belated)!

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...