Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Yay for old friends...

You're all familiar with facebook, myspace, classmates, etc. and so on ad finitum? Have you found any long lost friends? Caught up with an old classmate? Made snarky comments about the pictures in someone's profile? Fun no? This week I found an old friend that I had sort of forgotten about.

I used to work at Salomon North America, the ski company, before they were bought by the giant adidas. I worked with an amazing group of young sporty types. We were encouraged to ski, snowboard, inline skate and hike. If we didn't know how to do any of those things, odds were your co-worker did and was willing to show you. My best buddy Mike taught me how to skate which I'm sure was no easy task. After Salomon moved to Portland OR, Mike moved on to another opportunity in Colorado and I moved on to get married and start my family. We lost touch and now it's been 9 years.

Last week I was searching through facebook's "Salomon" group and there was my old friend. We messaged back and forth, were happy to get reacquainted, and eventually came to this question: "How come we lost touch?"

Good Question. Why do we lose touch with people we are still happy to speak to? You forget to return a phone call, life gets busy and before you know it ten years have gone by and you don't even know where that person IS anymore. I'm sure I'm guilty of it with more than just this example. I'm thrilled to be back in touch with Mike and I can think of at least one other friend that I need to step up the contact with or I'm sure to lose touch with her as well.

I'm off to send a heartfelt email, can you think of anyone that's slipped from your life?

1 comment:

  1. I have a list of people I'd love to catch up with. Once you get through a couple of emails of what you've been doing for the past 10 years, there's not much else to talk about until 10 years later! It's so exciting to catch up tho.

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...