Wednesday, August 06, 2008

How to age your daycare provider five years in five minutes...

I interrupt this regularly scheduled vacation update for the story of how Zack scared the BeJesus out of his teachers yesterday.

I walked into their school and Ms. Diane was walking down the hall with a panicked look on her face. She saw that it was me and said "MRS. MOLNAR I was just coming down to call you. Zack fell asleep and we couldn't wake him up." I said "Okay, he's been sick and sleeping more than usual." She said "NO, I mean we CAN'T wake him up. I took his pulse and checked that he was breathing but we can't wake him up." This is when I realized that she was in a panic, really scared. So we went up to take a look at him and he was just rising. The three teachers in his room were all sort of scared looking. Apparently, he'd fallen asleep at the snack table and they couldn't shake him awake. One teacher was afraid he'd fall over so she picked him up (the kid weighs 70lbs and I can't lift him) and moved him to a small couch. Ms. Diane took his pulse and checked him for breathing and was afraid he had some weird allergic reaction. He seemed groggy but otherwise fine. I asked him how he felt and he said fine.

I hovered over him all evening repeatedly asking how he was - fine. I called there mid-morning today to check on him and Ms. Diane repeated that he had scared her to death. He isn't really SICK, he's just been coughing at night and more lethargic than usual. I didn't know what else to tell her. I felt worse for her than for Zack!

1 comment:

  1. When I was in kindergarten (it was all day for me) I would be so tired that I wouldn't want to wake up from nap time to go outside (then home). The teachers would "try" to wake me up and even though I was awake I would act like I didn't hear them and just lay there. My mom had our neighbor pick me up a few times, because they were worried about me. They never caught on. My mom told them to just let me sleep through recess and wake me when it was time to go home. And that was that!

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...