Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My latest wacky idea...

Those of you who know me, know that I am NOT a runner. I am not a jogger, I'm not really even qualified to walk at a fast pace. I'm out of shape, I'm an enormous klutz, and breathing gasp-free isn't one of my strongest abilities. STILL, I let one of my imaginary online friends talk a group of us into doing Cool Running's Couch to 5K program. If you can't tell from the title, the idea is to get you from sitting on the couch to running 5k in about 10 weeks. They say 9, I say 10 because the first week is mental. First you go through your list of excuses:

1. I don't have time
2. I'll never get out of the house by myself
3. We're too busy
4. It's hot at night/dark in the morning
5. Wah Wah Wah

At some point it dawned on me that I could clear off that giant black contraption that we've been using all summer to hang swim towels on, what others might call a treadmill, and use that. Surely I could put in the 20-30 minutes required 3 times per week right? See how the first week is mental? You've got to get yourself there.

You start off doing 60 second jog/90 second walk intervals and eventually work up to the 5k at the end of the time. I'm on the first segment. You can tell I'm on the first segment because my entire left leg has agonizing muscle pain. You can tell I've got a serious layer of adipose tissue because in order to ease the muscle pain Matt had to beat my hamstring like he was tenderizing meat versus massage it with his thumbs. He had to get so far down there he was massaging my quad at the same time. I'm thinking now that I NEED to be doing this.

SO - hopefully you'll hear more about this from me. Hopefully we won't get to December where you'll ask "Hey how did that 5k thing go?" and I reply "What 5k thing? I have no idea what you're talking about."

Care to place bets?

6 comments:

  1. You can do it! Just take it slow and steady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. ;)

    Telling the blog is a big commitment - I am proud of you! And me! :D And us!

    - Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I've done the Couch Potato to 5K program before and it works. You can do it. I want to get in on it with ya. I even made flash cards when I started - because reading a page full of 30 days was too overwhelming. I had to go day by day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you luck. Bring M & M's and Oxygen..and you'll be fine..*grins*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sort of LOVING THIS. And um, our "large black obstruction" (i.e. treadmill) has been housing some kind of cat toy convention (behind it) and also my husband's shirts that **should** be hung in his closet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you need a stand-in massager, I'll be there for you! Hehehehe...

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...