Monday, October 20, 2008

Buttering me up...

I'm a bit confuddled this morning sitting here thinking about my kids who got along so well this weekend. They got along REALLY well, like we've done something terrible or want something big well. I just kept staring at them as though they've each separately whacked their heads, but I couldn't remember an accident, and except for the behaviour they didn't show any signs of injury. I'll give you a few examples.

Saturday evening we had dinner with our friends Tom and Jenn who have a son Zack's age. When the two of them get together there is never any room for Skyler besides which, in their eyes, she's a disgusting little girl. Well things were going along normally at first, they were all coloring, and they made her cry. She came in the kitchen and we all determined that she'd do better coloring with the grownups at the table. About 30 minutes later the boys come in with special pictures they've colored for her and the bottom of Zack's says "I heart you". I had to get it tested for his handwriting and double check that that's what he meant to write. He said that it was. GREAT GOOGLYMOOGLY he likes her, he really likes her. Oh wait, maybe the two of them hit Matt's new car with their bikes, or were planning to run HER over with their bikes. I wasn't sure but I was wary.

The kids continued getting along the remainder of the weekend, always with me watching cautiously for Skyler to be disappointed or for all heck to break loose. Last night Zack was begging for ice cream and we had the following conversation:

Me: Okay, here's the deal, you can have ice cream AFTER I cut your hair
Z: {small haircut whine} Can my sister have ice cream too? So that I don't tease her by having ice cream by myself?
Me: Oh Zack, that's very nice of you. I love when you worry about your sister's feelings.
Z: I WANT to be nice to my sister. Can she have ice cream too?
Me: Of course.

Normally this conversation would have been our deal and then Zack telling his sister that HE gets ice cream and SHE doesn't because she didn't get a haircut. Feel the love?

We'll see how this develops. I'm giddy with all the love right now. I'm sure it won't last!

How was YOUR weekend?

Political Mumbo Jumbo:

I was very pleased to see Colin Powell's endorsement of Barack Obama on Meet the Press on Sunday morning. He is so well spoken and put so much thought into his decision. Listen here:



2 comments:

  1. They must have heard Santa was making calls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I know what you mean. Yesterday was my niece's birthday and her brother baked her a cake! He even washed the dishes he used. My niece was floored and said she felt so special and that she thought it was such a nice thing for her brother to do. I think my sister had to be picked up off the floor. These 2 fight like cats & dogs ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...