Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Sh!t Hits the Fan...

{BIG pathetic sigh} Matt's car broke down Monday morning. We thought it might cost just under $1,000 to fix it which was enough to make me nauseous. We stopped by the garage yesterday afternoon (we're now commuting with one car) and I waited outside with my book while Matt went in for an update. I waited and waited and waited. Each passing minute telling me that nothing good was going on in there. When he finally came out with the ugly nasty $5,500 number written on a piece of paper I damn near had a panic attack. It needs a new engine and a whole slew of things to go with it. I don't understand it all but there was something to do with a serpentine belt and a tension pulley blahblity blah blah blah. Too much damage was done to save it. They said it was just a fluke. Matt spent a lot of time on the phone with his mechanically inclined brother (Thanks Ben!) last night confirming the diagnosis.

We're pretty sure we don't want to put that kind of money into a car that's seven years old. Thankfully it's paid off. We just hadn't planned on buying a new car until sometime next year. This sucks HUGE!

{another big pathetic sigh}

4 comments:

  1. I was so sorry to hear the news. I really do wish we lived closer to help more. Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a BUMMER! Well, the good news is that you can probably get a pretty good deal nowadays. The dealerships are dying to sell anything at this point and time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I was forced into buying my new car sooner than I planned (thanks to a bad serpentine belt, bad radiator, etcetc) and everything worked out better than I hoped. Things always have a way of working out when you need them to. And hey, new car! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, dang that would be a shocker. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...