Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Last night as we were doing homework, Astronomer Jenn (not really an astronomer) called to tell us to look outside at the moon.


For a couple of days this week, for about an hour after sunset, you can see the crescent moon with Jupiter and Venus.


I wasn't prepared for night photography so this doesn't show well, but Jupiter was actually much brighter than Venus.

If you remember, step outside tonight and click here and here for some more interesting information about this planetary conjunction. Apparently it's fairly rare for them to be this visible in the evening. Usually they take place during times that are difficult for us to witness. The next time we'll be able to see Jupiter and Venus this close is February 16, 2010. Mark your calendars.

In other non-planetary news, we had a very lovely Thanksgiving at my Aunt Joyce's house. My cousin Jill's girls were there. The four kids had a great time playing chase, and hide and seek, and other things that involved screeching and giggling. They were all very very well behaved, even Zack. There was only one injury, guess who. Come on, you know... Skyler of course. Her two front teeth had a mad run in with her brother's elbow resulting in a very Angelina Jolie look for her. She screamed like her teeth had been knocked out and all I could think about was not getting blood on the white carpets while Zack repeatedly told me that he "didn't DO anything". It was entirely an accident. No I didn't get any pictures of that. I did get a couple of dinner (my camera is still being crappy, maybe it's just my patience):




The girls had a blast doing toasts with their little cups.


YUM!

Friday, the kids and I avoided anything that remotely looked like a retail establishment. I can't remember WHAT we did, but we didn't go near those nuts with shopping carts.

Saturday, Amy and I continued our after Thanksgiving tradition of going to the big Craft Festival in town. I made the mistake of deciding that it would be a good idea to donate blood as we walked in. I hadn't been able to donate at my last drive and they weren't busy so I jumped at the chance. WELL, about an hour later I felt nauseous and dizzy. I know that most people wouldn't walk around a ginormous craft fair after giving blood, but seriously I've never ever had a reaction before and I donate every 56 days or so. I had to sit down and Amy got me something to eat. We continued on but I still felt woozy. Eventually I went home and got in bed and stayed there for the rest of the night and most of Sunday. My head was pounding and I felt dizzy every time I stood up. I just kept drinking water and figured it was flooky. Who knows? These things happen to me!

That's all the news that's fit to print. I'm off to pick up the wee ones!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a swell Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Amanda! I saw this in the paper the other day and love funky sky events but it's been too cloudy here to see it. Thank you for posting pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thew other night I was getting gas and I saw that but I didn't realize it was Jupiter and Venus. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im glad you guys had a nice Thanksgiving. We will see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D the kidlets and I went out in the freezing cold the other night to see the moon & 2 planets (which my 10 yr old swears that it is Uranus and not Venus...he likes saying he is going outside to look at URANUS...sigh gotta love 4th grade humor)...My pics turned out blech, only one actually came out ok of the planets but still a neat experience anyway!
    So happy to see you had a great thanksgiving (daughter's lip enhancement and all...I think Zack should be the poster child for "Big Brothers...better than botox!" ok wait no that is to get rid of wrinkles...hm.."Brothers...the new collagen!" there we go ;) it is collagen that plumps up lips right?....
    I love the motion blur in your pics, it shows the hustle and bustle of the Thanksgiving season! (as you know from my blog I was a true rebel and didn't get my camera out at all that day lol)
    Thanks for your comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...