Thursday, May 07, 2009

Shoulder update...

Last Thursday I had a shoulder MRI. The ladies that performed it were delightful and it all went off without a hitch, with the exception of that itch that I had to concentrate on NOT itching through the entire procedure. I kept wondering, "they're imaging my shoulder right? Surely I can use my other hand to gently scratch the itch on my nose?". I spent so much time deciding that the MRI was over. They gave me a disk of all the images and let me just tell you how cool it is to see INSIDE your own body. It's super cool. Then of course I played I'm a Radiologist and tried to see if I could diagnose myself. Conclusion? I haven't a clue what I'm looking at. That must be why those M.D. people go to school for so long.

I didn't have to wait long. Monday I had an appointment with the Shoulder Guy. He walked in with a confused/not-what-I-thought look on his face. He really thought I had bone spurs. It turns out I have a labral tear. My understanding is that this is a tear where the shoulder joint attaches to the bicep muscle. Sounds delicious huh? THAT must be why I've been in pain for four years!!!!! FSM forbid a doctor orders the magic test that can see inside BEFORE trying therapy and shots and OTHER SURGERY and more therapy. Now THAT'S an idea. We could have had this shit taken care of a long time ago. I went through a few stages of grief right there in the office, got a little teary eyed, and took the plunge and scheduled surgery.

I'm having my shoulder operated on on May 19th. That's two weeks people! If any of you have had shoulder surgery PLEASE tell me what to expect from the recovery. I've read good stories and bad stories. I just want to be back to work ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...