Friday, June 19, 2009

Channeling Bakerella...

I'm not sure what got into me yesterday but I decided to take on two baking projects one of which was extremely labor intensive. This little burst of inspiration usually hits around Christmas time and then lays dormant for a year.

First, my friend Michelle linked me to an awesome recipe, from Bakerella, that she made for her husband's birthday. This recipe probably uses an entire week's worth of fat and calories but is to die for, so beware.

You start with two boxes (my favorite kind of recipe)

Add the cookie mix right on top of the brownie mix:

Comes out like this:

Then comes the REALLY fatty part. You add a chocolate ganache topping:

I'd post the recipe (it's super fantastically easy) but in all fairness, link to Bakerella's blog and get it right from her.

Next, I damn near lost my mind and decided that I could take on making Cupcake Pops, also from Bakerella. Once you link over there and see all the amazing examples, scroll ALL the way down to the bottom of the post and check out the how-to's of making these. My reasoning for choosing to make these was that a friend of ours is retiring from the military and having a big party (today) and I wanted to make something neat for the party.

First you bake a cake. Then you cool it completely.


Then you crumble finely in a bowl and mix in a container of cream cheese frosting.




Roll this into 1" balls. Freeze for 15 minutes or refrigerate until the next day.


Use a 1.25" cookie cutter to form into cupcake shapes.




Dip bottoms into melted chocolate, add lolli sticks. Let sit until the chocolate hardens.



Dip the tops in white chocolate and immediately add decorations. Let sit until harden.

Wrap in candy bags and tie with ribbon.




Sit back and wonder what the heck possessed you to try THIS.

5 comments:

  1. Wow!! I am going over to bakerellas right now! Love the brownie/cookie combo idea. I seriously need to fatten the older boy up. He is too skinny. 5'8" and 100 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT recipe is insanely easy.

    The other? Not so much and it's more novelty for an event than everyday enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pride myself on making everything from scratch but that cookie brownie thing looks SO good and it would save me easily an hour in the kitchen to do it that way. Thanks for the simple idea! I have a friend who does cake pops professionally and yours look just like hers! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...