Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ice ice baby...

A few months ago I started chomping ice. Pretty soon I craved chomping ice. I would have a drink and my degree of happiness with it was directly related to the quality of the ice cubes. A friend of mine who works in a dentist's office noticed that I was doing this and told me I was going to ruin my teeth. Made sense so I thought I'd just stop, but I didn't. I have never in my life craved anything, sure I'd think "hey ice cream sounds good right now" but I didn't CRAVE it. I never chew hard candy, I don't smoke, do drugs, drink (don't I sound fun ;-) ). I started to realize that this was a bit bizarre. It's ICE. Frozen water. So, like everything else I wonder about, I googled "ice chewing".

Heck if ice chewing isn't a form of pica (a medical disorder characterized by an appetite for substances largely non-nutritive (e.g., clay, coal, soil, chalk, paper, soap, mucus, ash, gum etc.) or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered foods, such as food ingredients (e.g., flour, raw potato, raw rice, starch, ice cubes, salt,)). Craving or chewing ice is called pagophagia and is associated with iron deficiency anemia which I have had for years. They don't know WHY people who are iron deficient crave ice.

Isn't that just bizarre? I organize a blood drive at my office four times per year and I'm about 50/50 on whether or not I can donate at any given time. It's always because my iron is low or borderline. Guess I'd better hunt down some green leafy veggies.

I just love google. Anything you want to know or are wondering about, you can find an answer for. I'm teaching Zack how to search for the answers to all his bizarre questions like "why is water wet?".

3 comments:

  1. Well now. You really DO learn something new every day.

    Here's one for you and Google (though I'm not sure I'd share this with Zack quite yet): pilonidal abscess. I wrote a post about it 12/20/07 - I AM NOT AFFLICTED WITH SUCH A THING, thank goodness. But it's something I've heard about. And it's so foul, but also, kinda fascinating.

    Like the pica.

    This is my gift to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was pregnant, one of the things the doctor told me was to let her know if I started craving ice. I didn't realize it was related to iron deficiency though!

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...