Thursday, August 06, 2009

Words...

I love words. I love to read. I read A LOT. As I go about my day reading the interwebz, blogs, the news, emails, etc., I make a list on my blotter of words that I enjoy the look of, want to know the definition of, or made a point that struck me.

The current list of words I have written down is:

halcyon - hal⋅cy⋅on-adjective - calm, peaceful, tranquil, rich, wealthy, prosperous

obstreperous - ob⋅strep⋅er⋅ous - adjective - resisting control or restraint in a difficult manner; unruly.

sycophant - syc⋅o⋅phant - noun - a self-seeking, servile flatterer, fawning parasite.

hyperbolic - hy⋅per⋅bol⋅ic - adjective - having the nature of hyperbole; exaggerated.

effigy - ef⋅fi⋅gy - noun - a crude representation of someone disliked, used for purposes of ridicule.

ubiquitous - u⋅biq⋅ui⋅tous - adjective - existing or being everywhere, esp. at the same time, omnipresent.

Do you look words up as you read or do you just carry on, skipping over ones you don't know? Do you collect words for future use? I want to know.

*blogger is mocking me with weird spacing*

3 comments:

  1. I'm a skipper. I make a mental note of words (ha!) and lo and behold I always forget what I was going to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a looker, if it's something that I truly don't know. But if I think I can figure it out based on word proximity, I go with that.

    AND I'm like you, and I store words for future use. Love the list.

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...