Thursday, December 03, 2009

Christmas Cards...

Done. And Done.

A few months ago, I was playing the part of Scrooge, and decided that there was no way I had the energy to get my two little bickering cherubs to put on cute outfits and smile for the camera. I decided that in light of the economy and some other made up shit I can't remember, I was not going to do cards this year. Then I started talking to my soul-sister Ashley and got a bit of the Christmas Card Hunt Bug. I started casually looking for a card template that might appeal to me if I were going to do cards, which I was not. I bookmarked a few. Then it occurred to me that I could just use pictures from earlier in the year. I didn't have to go through the whole winter-photo-shoot-hell thing. Then Ashley posted that Shutterfly had a day or two left in their BIG SALE. And it was ON. I had those cards designed, uploaded, and ordered in a day.

They've all been addressed, stamped, and mailed. I fully expect to get Ashley's card first as I do every year. Picture cards get a spot of honor on the refrigerator each year. I've got to get working on clearing the front off. I love seeing pictures of friends and family that we don't see all year long. I especially love a funny pic. I can't wait to see what the mail brings this year!

Speaking of which can we review Swistle's Christmas Card Scoring System:
  • Card received: +5

  • BCard received before December 1st: -1

  • Card received after December 25th: -1

  • Card is pretty, and looks nice on wall: +3

  • Card is glittery: +1

  • Card sheds that glitter: -2

  • Card is shiny / has metallic accents: +1

  • Card does not contain card, but only letter, so there is nothing to put up on the wall: -5

  • Card is e-card: -5

  • Card includes photo or is photo card: +5

  • More than one photo: +2 each additional photo

  • Photo is non-Christmassy so will look good on fridge all year: +1

  • Photo is Christmassy so increases holiday feeling of card: +1

  • Red-eye causes family to appear possessed by evil Christmas spirit: -1

  • Photo was taken on beach this past summer in summer clothing, so family looks chilly against winter pattern of card: -1

  • Photo includes dogs with glowing eyes who seem poised to eat humans: -1

  • Card includes letter: +5

  • Letter is informative and interesting: +3

  • Letter describes child as "amazing" or "already an avid reader and accomplished Suzuki violinist at age 3!": -3 each

  • Letter is so braggy and saccharine-cheery, I wonder why I associate with these people: -3

  • Letter is so very braggy and saccharine-cheery, it crosses over into comical and becomes fun to read aloud in an unkind tone of voice: +2

  • Letter uses the word "blessed" more than one time: -1 per use (not including first use)

  • Letter is a sermon/evangelism disguised as a Christmas letter, and contains pious spiritual hopes for our country, for our country's leaders, for mankind, and for me personally: -5

  • Letter mentions details of gross surgery/illness: -1 or +1, depending on entertainment value

  • Letter contains thinly-veiled family gossip: +3

  • Letter contains information that should have been told earlier: -2

  • Card includes check: +5

  • Large check: +10

  • Card includes announcement of pregnancy: +10

  • Card from Christmas Card Friends contains surprising news of baby born since last card sent: +10

Based on the scoring system, my card, depending on which one you get, should be either a 16 or a 20 (+/- whether you think it is pretty, I gave it points for pretty). I'll give them a week or two to get where they're supposed to be and then I'll post them here.

2 comments:

  1. Love your card and it was our first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card totally gets 20 points. You should get ours the beginning of next week. I may have fallen out of the winnings for first-card-of-the-year this year. Next year, though, I will reclaim the title. So glad you did a card. The front of our fridge wouldn't have been the same this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...