Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What I'm Reading This Week...

I just finished reading Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. This was one of those books that I put on my library hold list sometime a few months ago and had no idea what it was when it came up. I just shrugged and figured I must have added it after hearing a review on NPR or something. It's a story of a small village in England in the 1600's and how they deal with an outbreak of the Plague. It's amazing the lengths that desperation, illness, exhaustion, and grief will stretch a person's sanity. I enjoyed the book but a lot happens in the last chapter and the epilogue is almost like a completely different story.

Right now I'm reading The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. I'm about a hundred pages in, and while the story is entertaining, and I think the author is a great historical fiction writer, if you've read any of her other books, you've read this one. That could go either way for some people, they could skip it because it's so similar or they'll devour it because they love her stories. I'm enjoying it and don't have anything else pending from the library so I'll finish.

What are you reading?

1 comment:

  1. I just finished Encyclopedia of an Ordinary LIfe and am now reading The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...