Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Vegas. Getting There...

I've been asked kindly by multiple people to detail my trip.  I'll try to make it less than boring as it all seems horrendous when you're going through it but seems mundane when you try to relay the story to someone else.

I had plenty of time to spare after work on Thursday afternoon to head home and say goodbye to my kiddlies but they had other plans.  They were invited to an amusement park and when I reminded Skyler that she wouldn't see me until Monday she replied "Mommy.  I have the rest of my life to see you!"  She literally could not care less.

So rather than driving home first, I drove straight to the airport with plenty of time to spare.  I decided to check my bag and got in the very short line to do so.  I got the sense that there were some disgruntled people around me but I wasn't paying much attention and certainly hadn't checked any screens.  I got to the counter and Mr. Airtran Worker (asshole) told me that my flight was delayed due to weather (fine) and that I would miss my connection in Atlanta.  He suggested that I fly out tomorrow.  He had this smirk that put my irritation on high alert.  I asked what my options were for flying out the next day.  He indicated that there was some chance I might not get on a flight then either as they were "sort of full", he also suggested that I could fly as far as Atlanta that evening and have better chances of getting on the Vegas flight from there tomorrow.  I asked (as any NORMAL person would) what I should do when I got to Atlanta.  He shrugged, smirked, and said "I don't know".  At this point, I was starting to lose my voice from the laryngitis that was sneaking up on me all week.  I took a deep breath and said "You work for an airline changing flights and you don't know what I should do when stranded over night in an airport?".  He replied "I can tell you what I would do but I have no idea what you should do."  I expressed my displeasure with that particular statement.  He got pissy, ripped a coupon for a hotel off a pad, shoved it at me and said "HERE tell them you're a disgruntled passenger".  At this point, while he's typing away I become aware that the people he had "helped" prior to me were standing to my left speaking to a supervisor.  I half listened to them, half continued to question Mr. A-W.  At some point, my  level of irritation maxed out and I asked him to stop arguing with me and to stop smirking like this problem was funny.  He took my ticket and my ID, shoved them back at me and said "I can't deal with you, step aside".  My eyeballs about jumped out of my head.  I loudly got the supervisor's attention and said that I was having trouble with my flight and having trouble with HIM to which I got laughs and claps from the audience (OMG it was awful).  The supervisor ended up refunding the entire trip of the party in front of me and moving me to another flight the next day, putting me up in a hotel in Atlanta, and upgrading my seat to business class.  I was shaking by the end of it.  I was also barely able to speak in more than a gaspy whisper and I still had two and a half hours until my delayed flight.

My flight took off without further issue at 9:30 pm and  I got to the hotel in Atlanta at about 11:30 knowing that all my buddies in Vegas were arriving there and having loads of fun at the Piano Bar in NYNY.  BLAH.  When I called my Mother to report my whereabouts (like a good daughter) she couldn't even understand me I was so raspy.

In the morning, I made sure to give myself plenty of time as the Atlanta airport is ginormous.  I got there and had another horrible experience with the desk people as they could not access the notes that the supervisor from the night before had written and had no idea about my upgrade or my checked bag.  They performed several Acts of Congress and I was on my way.  I toured the airport.  I ate breakfast.  I sat at the gate.  I read.  I began to notice that there weren't any other people crowding around my gate.  I checked my ticket.  I checked the time.  I decided to find a screen to check.  The fuckers had changed the gate.  To another terminal.  I ran. I got there just in time to sit on the tarmac for an hour.  I did sleep a bit on the flight and played laryngitis sign language with the chatty lady next to me.

I arrived in Las Vegas at about 12:45 pm local time, only twelve hours late but it felt like days.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Happy trails they were not! Butt head everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great summary so far! Can't wait to read the rest. Love that people clapped when you bitched about that guy. We need to put Skyler and William behind those desks, they'd accomplish more, chat while doing so, and be happy!

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...