Monday, May 03, 2010

Optimism Feels Good...

I've had kind of a kooky week with no time to blog. Last Wednesday my RA (rheumatoid arthritis) had me in so much pain that I called my doc begging to be seen. She fit me in the next day. I knew that the powerful drugs I was taking took a long time to work but I was in tears every day. Thursday she changed all my drugs around to stronger stronger stronger. I was going to have to learn to give myself an injection and I was soon going to have to start infusions. I was so relieved to be taking a step forward but there was a lot of "Holy Shit" thoughts as well.

Friday I had to go back with Matt and kids in tow to learn how to stick myself with a needle. It ended up being wise to have Matt do it for the foreseeable future. I'm adjusting to lots of strong medication and my hands are shaky which isn't really conducive to getting a needle ready and sticking it into my body. I'd make a terrible drug addict. He and the nurse had a grand old time with the instructions (Matt can have fun anywhere) and it all was far less of a big deal than I thought it would be.

I couldn't believe it but Saturday was a good day. I haven't had a good day in months. Doc had me try a couple of different drugs to see if we can get the pain and swelling down and something is working. Whew. SOMETHING is working.

Today I had to go back in for a TB test. I can't remember why but it had something to do with the infusions I'll be getting soon.

Today I feel some optimism. I had gotten pretty down and pessimistic for awhile there. I'm hoping this is more than a placebo effect.

Wish me luck!

ps - Friday was such a crazy busy day that I didn't get a chance to tell my Mom about all the changes but I did quickly post to facebook that I was "learning to give myself injections". My Mother's neighbor asked her about how I was doing with the shots and Mom had to fake that she knew what she was talking about. OOPs. Sorry Mom. Facebook is the new telephone!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you've found something. Hope this continues and gets even better. Breaks my heart to think you're suffering physically like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a nightmare, glad that you have something which is working but I'm sorry you have to go through it at all. There's a program here called Grow Your Own Drugs, it's about using things in your garden or that you can buy to make food which can help certain ailments. There was one on arthritis recently which made me think of you, something about Turmeric, I didn't really appreciate how painful it could be before.

    I started wondering if there's something you can do to help prevent RA - I don't really know much about it other than what I've read here.

    I hope the injections work well for you.
    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jade - it's so neat for me to connect with other bloggers around the world. It's fun to think that we think of things to help one another.

    I don't know much about Turmeric but I'm going to look it up. I've also heard that cherries are good but I haven't had any luck finding any yet.

    I'm not sure if there's a way to avoid RA. It's a systemic disease that is at least partially genetic. It runs in my Mom's side of the family. I have a cousin who is five years older than I who lives in Australia who is going through this as well. My Mom's sister had it as a child. I have suspicions that my Mom has it but not bad enough for her to mention it to a doctor. :-)

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...