Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Where Did My Babies Go...

I'm starting a new phase of parenting and I'm positive that I'm not ready.  I'm no longer parenting toddlers and preschoolers which I think I'd gotten pretty rock-starish at, I'm now parenting pre-teens and it's a whole new world.

I thought pre-teenness began somewhere around the age of 11 1/2.  No, this is not true.  Skyler is almost 9 and while she may still act the baby, she's definitely got a bunch of pre-teen going on.  Zack is 10 1/2 and we're now well into issues like hair *wink* and deodorant and face cleaning and locking down the internet.  I'm learning, slowly.

One issue I'm not a huge fan of is that kids this age are mean.  We try to raise nice polite kids but they're constantly exposed to kids who have been parented in a totally different style if you get my drift.  Last night when we were getting ready to Trick-or-Treat a child in the neighborhood called Zack fat.  Zack can usually fend for himself but he's really really sensitive to being called fat.  A third child came and told me and I marched right over to find this kid's mother.  I asked the child what he called Zack and he had no problem telling me that he said that he was fat.  I asked if it didn't hurt his feelings when someone else called him a name.  I found the mother smoking her ciggies and having a beer (klassy), we had words and she ended with yelling at her son "just stay the fuck away from those kids".  Lovely.  Can you blame the child when he learns from someone like this?  She's his primary adult figure.  What can you do with that? 

I had a long talk with my kids that that child wasn't being taught manners and how to behave and in all likelihood his parents called him names and so that's what he's learned to do.  They understood and were, I think, appropriately appalled at the behavior of both mother and son.  I think we'll chalk this one up as a learning experience.  Heaven forbid we just get some candy and call it a night.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, my nightmare. This phase, the hurt feelings that come from mean kids, the confronting fucking idiot parents. You're ready, you just don't know it yet. You handled it perfectly. My advice to Zack? He needs to stay the fuck away from those kids. Meanies suck.

    ~ Ashley - PPO5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for Zack AND for you. As my hubs said the other day, this parenting thing just keeps getting harder. You did great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess if kindy is the new 1st, then upper elementary is the new middle school? Blech!

    I'm sorry about the little asshole kid. That badge you have there is so right on.

    You are still a rockstar mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mouth dropped open while reading this. WHAT KIND OF PARENT.... gah, i can't even. that's horrible. that poor kid, growing up with that mom.

    sounds like you handled it beautifully, though.

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...