I suppose I'm making a New Year's Eve habit of this, 2008 , 2009, 2010. I think it's good to have a bit of reflection at the end of each year. It maybe gives you some direction to head in in the morning. I feel somewhat discouraged that each year my bits of reflection point me in the same direction but I never seem to get there. Perhaps I shall reflect on that.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
We took the kids on a cruise to the Bahamas.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made any resolutions but I did happen to admit to my therapist (my new bff) that I am a bit of a self-saboteur and tend to make a mess of anything that I proclaim to be my next "thing". So perhaps not wanting to make a resolution at all is a good step?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
YES. Oh, my dearest Amy gave birth to Claire who is the sweetest most perfect baby girl. I still look at her and can't believe that she's here.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
The Bahamas and The Grand Turks
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Sanity? Peace of Mind? Mad money?
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Early July is etched in my memory. We took a big long vacation and Baby Claire was born.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My biggest achievement I suppose is listening to my gut and finding a new RA doctor. I have to learn to trust me. I trust me where the kids are concerned I don't know why I have self-doubt when it comes to my own self.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hmmm.I had sort of a major downward spiral of panic attacks in the early fall. I'm not sure why I see it as a failure but I do feel that my body betrayed me.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the usual Fibromyalgia, RA, anxiety - I'm quite sure I can't handle anything else.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The best? Oh I love showering the kids and Matt with treats during the winter holidays.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Matt's for putting up with me and my crazy moods.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The entire Republican Presidential Hopeful club and that Sandusky perv.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Floating in a cerulean blue sea with my family.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
I can honestly say that I don't associate songs with years. I don't usually know who sings what or when they sang it.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? meh
b) thinner or fatter? about the same
c) richer or poorer? i have no idea
How's that for inspiring?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I'd done more day trips with the kids where we weren't connected to any electronics.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worried. It gets me nowhere.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We spent it quietly, just the four of us. It was a great day. Everyone got up and enjoyed emptying their stockings and then we opened gifts and had a big breakfast. We played with new toys, took naps, and enjoyed each other.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I fell in love with that little Claire.
22. What was your favorite tv show?
I'm such a tv whore. I think my favorite show is House or Big Bang Theory I can't decide. Ooh ooh I have a new favorite too, Homeland.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I've tried to copy what I say to my kids "Hate is an awfully strong word".
24. What was the best book you read?
I think I read 60 books last year and the one that marked my heart was The Invisible Bridge. I still find myself thinking about it at random times. You should read it. It will humble you.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I'm musically lame. I wouldn't call anything I listen to a discovery.
26. What did you want and get?
I wanted a car starter for my car but didn't say anything to Matt. He thought of it as well and got it for me for Christmas. Thank you honey!
27. What did you want and not get?
A cure. A magic pill. The realization that it could be so much worse and to stop whining...
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
We don't see many films in the theater so the pool of choices is shallow. I got a hearty laugh out of Bridesmaids and No Strings Attached made me feel gooey with love (shut up I know it's lame).
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don't remember what we did on my birthday - I'm sure Matt and the kids took me out to eat and I'm sure we went to Kan Pai with Mike and Amy. YES. We did go to Kan Pai because that is where the incident for which Amy will never forgive Matt occurred. I turned 29 again.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
"Do These Pants Button"
32. What kept you sane?
My therapist Kim and .5mg of Alprazolam as needed ;-)
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I became really interested in Steve Jobs and was sad when he passed. I am always interested in Barack Obama. I love me some Bradley Cooper and of course my forever boyfriend Matt Damon.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The right for gays to marry.
35. Who did you miss?
I miss my Dad. Sometimes he's in a dream and he's there and alive and it isn't weird so that's nice.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Claire. This little girl is getting so much attention!!! Who else did I meet this year? I'm trying to think...
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011?
It's okay to push back and say no sometimes. Overwhelming yourself will not make others happy.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I can't think of a song but I copied the following quote onto my calendar for 2012, I want these words to be my inspiration for the new year:
"She turned her can'ts into cans, and her dreams into plans. She listened to her heart above all other voices."
That's about it for 2011. I hope you join in this meme and link your blog posts here.