Thursday, March 01, 2012

Running Away...

I'm here I'm here.  I didn't have much constructive to say lately (despite all the blog posts I compose in my head) so I didn't say anything at all.  I feel as though this wacky weather has us all in limbo, is it warm, is it cold, will it rain?  How much of the coughing that my coworker is doing is spewing her germs into the air that I breath?  None of this makes for good blog conversation.  My stress and anxiety levels were so high last week, that Thursday evening, while reviewing the calendar for the weekend with Matt, I gave a big sigh and told him that I wish I could just drop it all and fly home to see my Mom for a weekend. 
The Schedule
He asked why I didn't do just that and five minutes later found a flight that left the very next morning.  I called my mother at 10pm to ask if I could come visit and said I would call her back with confirmation.  Then Matt asked me to assure her that this impromptu trip wasn't because I was running away from my family, but from my family's calendar of events.  She did appreciate the clarification as she doesn't typically get a 10pm phone call requesting a reservation at the Inn for the next day.

After delivering the children to the places they each needed to be on Friday morning, I took off, in a t-shirt and flip-flops, for the airport.  I had not a care in the world.  I got my own row of seats.  I read my book.  I dosed off.  When I got to New York I was able to hop on an earlier flight (after putting on warmer clothes ;) ).  I managed to arrive outside at the shuttle service in Boston at the exact moment when the driver of the bus I needed was closing the door.  I arrived where I needed to be much earlier than expected.  It was heaven.  My Mom fed me a delicious dinner and then tucked me into her bed for the night by 7pm.

The next morning I awoke to the smell of blueberry muffins in the oven, my favorite blueberry muffins.  Yum.  We dawdled over coffee and then decided to drive two hours to the mega yarn shop Webs.  You certainly can't drive two hours with the intent to go yarn shopping and nothing else with children in tow.  We were wowed by the selection and spent hours, yes hours, browsing and squishing and chatting with other crafters.  Then we had a wonderful lunch in a delightful pub and headed for home.  We watched some Downton Abbey while beginning new crafts and then I went to bed early again.

Webs Stash
More blueberry muffins for breakfast and then I had to check in on my little niece and nephews.  They are the best hug givers ever.  
Miss Chloe
Me and Noah
Bryce and Me

Later that evening, it was home again home again jiggety-jig.  Again, because I was flying alone, I hopped an earlier flight and made it home in time to watch the end of the Oscars with Matt.

Why can't I do this every weekend?

4 comments:

  1. What a nice weekend! And you totally deserve some R&R!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because if you did it every weekend, your extended family would never get to see you. You can cancel only so many times before we begin to wonder...
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds AMAZING. well played :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you for doing that!!!! That sounds so lovely and I bet it meant more to your mom than it did to you.

    ReplyDelete

You're fabulous for leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...