I had some intense feels-real dreams last night starring a lot of old friends from high school and I woke up thinking about my last post, 2012 End of Year Questionnaire and got a little gaspy over question 4 "Did anyone close to you die?" and the fact that I answered "No". And then I had a whole conversation with myself that the person wasn't close to me in recent years but that his death did hit me pretty hard and that it was totally douchey that I didn't even think of it when the question came up. I'm going to go ahead and give myself a pass. Things hit us when they hit us.
This past year, in January, my friend Kris was killed. Kris was the person I knew the longest in my hometown; the person who I was still friends with as I graduated high school although we had met in fourth grade. Sure, I knew other kids, but I didn't still hang out with them after all those years; friendships evolve. We didn't stay in contact after college, jobs, marriage, kids, except for that thing we all love to waste time on and complain about, facebook. Yes facebook is generally the cause of any rant I may have on any given day, but you can't deny that it's the best tool available for keeping in touch with distant friends when you all move to far corners of the world. It was also the way in which all of us, Kris' huge legion of devoted fans, were able to contact each other and share the details of his death. I think we all needed to reunite in that way.
Kris was a wonderful wonderful person and I'm still deeply sorry that he isn't alive on this earth somewhere bringing happiness to those around him. I'm also deeply sorry that he didn't pop to mind when I filled out my stupid end of year questionnaire, but today he got more than a passing thought. He got a trip down my memory lane and I'm glad for that.
Wednesday, January 02, 2013
It was my intention to do this on Monday, before 2012 ended, but I didn't get on the computer and... well as usual I'm at least a day late and a dollar short.
Answers to previous years are here: 2008, 2009, 2010 (did I miss a year?), 2011
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I'm stumped and searching through my calendar for inspiration for this one. NEVER? Well I'd never been to a sand soccer tournament and we spent a weekend doing that in June. It's never taken 17 hours for us to drive home for a visit before and we checked that off the list. I've never had a middle schooler but Zack became one in September. I didn't actually seek out a never done and check it off all bucket list style though.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't tend to make resolutions because I'm a self-saboteur - I'll promptly jack that up just because I can.
OH, I did decide that I am no longer in charge of what anyone else in the house wears to a soccer game or if they arrive there late due to their own dilly dallying and lack of preparation. I'm the only one in the house that doesn't have to be wearing anything in particular when she shows up at the field, so why was I the one with all the stress? I did keep this "resolution" and hunting down uniforms and cleats and shin guards is not my problem. There have been mixed results, but I'm not stressed about it.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I don't think so. I'm thinking of all the babies here and there and they're all pre-2012s. I'm looking forward to a friend giving birth next month. She's still debating the name with her hubby so baby can't be born anytime soon.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 3rd Skyler was diagnosed with the chicken pox despite having had the vaccination. That was fun.
February 3rd BOTH kids got braces (buh bye all my money)
March 24 - I attended the Reason Rally in Washington DC with friends Shelli, Carrie and Sarah. That was loads of fun.
April 3rd I got pneumonia (oh joy oh joy)
May 6th Skyler's soccer team won their end of season tournament
July 21st Skyler was in our friends' Mike & Melissa's wedding
September 4th Zack was an official middle schooler
September 8th my cousin Amie married her love Jared
November 6th - GOBAMA!!!!
November 10th two of my fav people Lisa and Frank tied the knot
December 3rd I got pneumonia for the second time
December 14th broke my heart.
December 30th Skyler broke my nose with an impressive accidental knee strike
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Acclimating Zack and I to middle school - it was not without drama or stress.
This isn't my personal achievement but one for Matt and Skyler - they won one first place and four second place medals in soccer. I'm ridiculously proud of them.
9. What was your biggest failure?
The usual - keeping my house anything resembling neat and tidy
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Oh of course I did. If you've been around longer than three minutes you know I'm a hot mess. In addition to the two bouts of pneumonia and the broken nose, there was the ever present arthritis and anxiety and I'm sure more than a few cold viruses to keep things nicely rounded out.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I have to say I lurve my iPhone.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Matt's, 2012 was his year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Yes, but let's just not mention it again.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, soccer, gifts
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Presidential election, watching my kids play soccer. I've always loved watching Sky play, but this year there's an intense spark to her that is a complete joy to watch.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen definitely
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We had so many wonderful holiday gatherings this year. We were definitely thankful for so many friends and family to celebrate with. We spent the entire time with huge smiles on our faces.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
22. What was your favorite tv show?
Big Bang Theory, HOMELAND (ZOMG SO GOOD), Elementary
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't think so. Hate feels too strong. I might have moments of hate, but nothing permanent.
24. What was the best book you read?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Here are some more bookish thoughts
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
I wanted less stress surrounding soccer and I got that for myself.
27. What did you want and not get?
I wanted better health, as always that's something I'm working on.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
50/50 - I think I saw that for the first time in 2012 and it became an instant fav.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to a friend's wedding rehearsal and dinner, it was lovely. I was 29 +9.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Neil Degrasse Tyson
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
All of them - election years get me completely spun up.
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
A whole pile of new peeps entered our lives - Skyler's new soccer team family - LOVE them.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012?
You can't please everyone, in fact you shouldn't even try.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I couldn't quote a song lyric period. I'm going to have to rewrite this quiz for next year. Music throws me every time.
Happy 2013 - I think it's going to be awesome!
If you would like to take the questionnaire and post it on your blog, I'd love to read your answers. Post me a linky wouldja?
Blah blah blah by Amanda at 9:44 AM